[pct-l] weapons question unanswered

Andrea Dinsmore zaqueltooocool at gmail.com
Wed May 20 12:57:14 CDT 2009

I have a question........when all the hikers are so concerned with half oz
weights of their gear....how can you even consider carrying a weapon that
will add all that extra weight ?? And out of the past 6 years and a couple
hundred hikers a year through our home I have never heard the need for a
weapon (except for those pesky chipmunks). And what are you going to be
defending yourself against ?? How many rounds (when you're scared $hitless)
is it going to take to kill a bear ?? You will probably be the only armed
hiker on the whole trail. If you're that afraid of what you may find in the
wilderness....you might want to stay in the big city where you need your
gun. I live just off the trail and in bear country. I've come face to face
with many bears in my yard and have never felt the need to try and kill
them. As said before....you are invading the animal's home. You are the
visitor.

PCT MOM