[pct-l] Note from Eric D on snow conditions- received Monday 18th

Freiman, Paul pfreiman at ucsd.edu
Tue May 19 21:58:28 CDT 2009

I made it to Independence yesterday afternoon (2.5 days from Kennedy Meadows).

 Trail was clear of snow up to junction with Trail Pass Trail. Then there were small patches up to "Path to Poison Meadow" and again near Cottonwood Pass. More small patches near Chicken Spring Lake and on down to Rock Creek.  Navigation not an issue, trail was always visible. However snow was extremely soft (due to the above normal temperatures) and I was postholing. Not a big deal though. Snow depths 1-2 ft.

There were some larger patches on north facing slopes near Mt Guyot, down to Crabtree Meadow, and lots near Wallace Creek. Navigation still not a problem, but I was continuing to posthole, due to time of day and high temps. Snow depths 2-3 ft.

Snow coverage increased around Bighorn Plateau (map useful here) and down to Tyndall Creek. Full coverage up to base of Forester Pass. I passed through these area in the early a.m. so I was able to walk on top of the snow. Forester chute was steep and icy. I rock climbed to the right to avoid it.

Full coverage snow north of Forester Pass down to Vidette Meadow, 2-4 ft deep and soft.  I was postholing off and on.

The climb up to Kearsage pass (and about half way down the other side) was difficult for me. It was a very hot day and the snow was very soft. LOTS of postholing.

I carried an ice axe, and had it in hand while going straight up to Forester Pass, and for a few glissades. No crampons or poles.

Overall, I would say that there is not that much snow left out there from KM to Independence and it is melting extremely fast.

-Eric D.