[pct-l] snowshoes in early June?

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Tue May 19 13:48:14 CDT 2009

Hey, Alec!

Did you ever get an answer from the List regarding your question?

We teach snow camping, avalanche assessment, ice axe and self-arrest
training, visual route referencing, and more every winter in Desolation,
here, in South Tahoe, and my question to you is at what elevation will you
be hiking and where in the Sierra? Different areas hold more or less snow
for longer than others. "Early June" around Tahoe is pretty safe, but in the
depths of SeKi and the passes there you will still have to deal with large
and long snow fields where post-holing is the norm for those without
snowshoes.

For many that is acceptable, but they also accept the injury that comes with
it, all in the name of going light. If it were me, I would plan to cover the
snowy passes in the morning while the snow is still cold and hard and
thereby not need snowshoes to avoid post-holing. Beware of slipping on the
hard snow and/or ice in the mornings. Once the sun hits it you won't have to
worry. Have a mental plan, though, on how you're going to react when and if
you fall and begin sliding downhill to the trees or rocks below. If you
still have big suncups, they're another story.

For now....

Mtnned