[pct-l] SoBo this year

Charles Cornwall charlie98107 at yahoo.com
Sun May 17 23:30:03 CDT 2009

I section hiked from Manning to Stevens Pass a couple of years ago, and I would like to offer my experience.  Sorry I'm a bit behind in answering your post, but I'm way behind in reading all the posts on the list.  I live in Seattle and took the bus up to Vancouver, stayed overnight there and then took the bus in the morning to Manning and started my hike.  My experience at the border was totally unexpected.  I thought they would be concerned with me crossing the border by trail (unmanned border crossing), but that was the last thing on their mind.  They were way more concerned with the fact that I only had a one way ticket and a backpack and that it appeared to them that I was someone looking to stay up in Canada.  That seemed to be their primary focus, not only with me, but with a couple of others on the bus as well.  If I had it to do over again, I would definitely buy a round trip ticket, even though I only intended on using it one way.
 That would have saved me a lot of hassle at the border.  The round trip bus ticket was only about $20 more if I remember right.  They finally let me go, but it was not certain that that would be the outcome until the end.  They have no idea what the PCT is, and do not have a concept of what long distance hiking is.  (I know what I did is not "long distance" to most on this list, but it definitely is to the average person.)

You are supposed to check in with American customs when you get into the States, however when I tried to do this I called and they had no idea what I was talking aobut.  The lady I talked to said I didn't need to do it and I have not heard anything else since.

Check this link to Manning Park where they talk about just this issue (the PCT page for Manning Park):

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/ecmanning/pctrail.html

If you try to call customs, good luck getting any information out of them!!

Charlie

"Hello Megan and all,

I too am heading southbound.  Flying into Vancouver around the 21st and will set off from Manning hopefully around the 23rd.

Does anyone know what I need to do regarding the border crossing.  Is there someone in Manning or around there that I need to run my passport by or do I need to call an office and get a stamp or something?

Happy Trails,
Bkat"