[pct-l] Knee Surgery

Meridith Rosendahl mrosendahl at digitalpath.net
Fri May 15 11:42:28 CDT 2009

Hello Bill.  I had both knees replaced (same day) June 24th last year.  The pain does go away, but possibly at different rates.  For some reason my left knee has always lagged behind my right.  Yesterday we did an 8-mile hike (very long for me) to Feather Falls in Northern CA.  The hike was gentle in both directions (one trail in, one trail out), but my left knee failed me.  My top speed was about 1 mph on the return trip and the others reached the end of the hike about an hour and a half ahead of me.  I really think it was my own fault for not being adequately up to speed, although we had done a  6-mile hike in Arizona over the winter with no problem with either knee.

To answer your question, yes you will be able to hike.  Do your therapy religiously, walk as much as possible and get yourself in good condition with adequate preparation.  I woulnd't have missed this last hike, but will think twice about more agressive hikes in our area.

BTW, doing both knees at the same time was a great decision.  You have one surgery, one anesthesia, one recovery, one rehab and you're done, although continuing on with your therapy exercises is a good thing.  For me doing it all at the same time meant not having to take twice as much time out of my life for more healing.  I'm 67, female, and not particularly athletic, and if I can do it anyone can.

Good luck,
Piper's Mom