[pct-l] Guffy Campground Update mile 364.6

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Tue May 12 22:13:36 CDT 2009

Just got the lowdown from 65+5.
He stayed in Wrightwood last night and the word is there is a big bear problem up here at Guffy and points north.
It seems people keep picking up the trash but there is no where to put it that is safe from the bears. So each night they come and destroy and each day people bag it up. Maybe someone with a vehicle could come up forest service road 3N06 to Guffy and collect the trash before this PM and the next bear assualt.
Also the locals recommend sleeping with the food bag next to you. This goes against all the logic I have learned over the years and I wish I had my bear can tonight.
They say these bears are skittish and easily spooked so I guess this strategy would work. I recommend bear hanging just to keep the bears from getting habituated. There are a lot of branches in this camp that would make good bear hangs if you bring some cord.
Cheers-Iceaxe

Sent from the Trail on my Peek