[pct-l] The International PCT-L

Mountaingoat Fraser mistermountaingoat at gmail.com
Thu May 7 05:05:38 CDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say hi and remind readers, after the recent spurts of
controversy, that there are still a lot of readers besides those regular
posters who do value the content and varied viewpoints found in this list. I
happen to be reading here in Australia, and every morning and evening I tune
in to glean useful info and - yes - occasional doses of (sometimes
off-colour) humour. If I do it any less regularly, it backs up to an
intimidating degree. I always enjoy sifting through the submissions and
already feel like I know some of the contributors.

I will be trying a PCT thru-hike next year (after my fair share of injuries
on past hikes in your country, I no longer say "will be thru-hiking" since
it only tempts the gods to knock me down a notch or two for my impertinence)
and can't wait. It's going to be incredible. Meanwhile I am making a lot of
my own gear, reading up, daydreaming to a dangerous degree and delving
regularly herein - and I have already learned a lot from this list. I am an
AT and LT thru-hiker (though said injuries really meant I did the AT in two
massive sections, two years apart in 2004-2006) and I try to do a
multi-month trip every two years. I get hurt sometimes but I always go back
and keep on plugging. Since gravitating inevitably towards lightweight
hiking things have gotten a lot better in so many ways. I will always be
grateful for the Jardines for helping elucidate my hiking philosophy and
providing much food for thought.

It's true that there is sometimes stuff on here that merits a quick delete -
but I wouldn't want it any other way. There is a place in hiking, as
everywhere, for a multitiude of viewpoints and attitudes, as long as they're
respectful. I would rather have an assortment of odd stuff getting through
than a sterile/boring "information only" forum. I think the balance is,
overall, pretty decent.

Just wanted to let you know that the appeal of this list transcends your
borders. It's as worthwhile and relevant for me as any other hiking
resource. I've had a lot of great times walking in America and made a lot of
great friends over there. Keep it up, I say!

~ Mr Mountaingoat, Brisbane

And That's All the Goat Wrote