[pct-l] Skirts/Man Skirts/Kilts

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 6 07:20:07 CDT 2009

I say, "Go for it!"

I wore a kilt for more than half thhe AT and all of the PCT.  I was
surprised to meet only two other hikers wearing kilts on the PCT last
year.  Both were also AT veterans.  Never had any problem with
mosquitoes on my legs---must be the swishing of the pleats, though a
couple of ants did climb my legs and bite me in sensitive locations
while sitting having a snack!

Sunburn was not a problem for me since I have a lot of natural shade on
my legs, but II did use sunblock on the back of my legs and top of my
knees until a good tan developed----or was that a dirt coating.

My kilt was the Pacific Blue hiking kilt from Sportkilt.com and it was
indeed a beautiful bright blue color---until the California sun bleached
it to something else.  When I sent a pic to Sportkilt, they replaced it,
and my kilt is now again a nice bright blue.

---Handlebar
AT06, PCT08