[pct-l] hiking alone

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Tue May 5 18:23:33 CDT 2009

In 2006, I hiked solo from Castella north.  I saw just a couple of other thru-hikers as I was near the front of the pack  and some section hikers for the last 1500 miles but often went days on end without encountering others.  For me, this was something I was definitely looking for as I wanted to experience this and see how I would cope.   It was wonderful.  The conversations I had with myself were quite enlightening :)  I had very few pressures to meet the needs of a social hiking group.  It also allowed me to push bigger mileage and reach Canada with no interruptions in a year when very few thru-hikers did do to the fires and such.  I realize this is not the style of hike that everyone is searching for but for me, it was definitely a wonderful experience.

Elevator