[pct-l] Geology of the PCT - Resources

bighummel at aol.com bighummel at aol.com
Tue May 5 15:13:53 CDT 2009

At the KO, Paul Hacker and I presented "Geology of the PCT" again.
Someone in the audience asked that I post the resources that I had on
one of the slides.  These are general sources, except James Moore's
book, which is a must read.  He provides a history of those who first
explored the High Sierra and shows pictures of the huge equipment they
hauled up the high peaks to ascertain the elevation; barometers and
surveying equipment.  He provides a good geologic discussion of the
area as well, but then goes into high level geochemistry that only hard
rock geo-heads care about.

•   Exploring the Highest Sierra, James G. Moore
•    Assembling California, John McPhee
•    httphttp://edc.usgs.gov/products/satellite/ for aerial and satelite
photos
•    http://www.colossal-fossil-site.com/400-states/1/1-california.htm