[pct-l] ham radio?

The Incredible Bulk ki6asp at gmail.com
Tue May 5 08:57:31 CDT 2009

AsABat, Ned, et al,

I saw Nanuck last year at Fuller Ridge camp using a cigarette sized CW
transeiver with a dipole strung between to huge pine trees.  He said he was
not able to communicate with anyone at that time.  This was late afternoon
near the end of May, so propagation was not the best.  Fortunately, a hiker
came through who had a cell phone, and he was able to make spotty connection
with his wife and eventually me.  Cell phones do work, you just have to pick
you spots.  See Halfmile's website for his cell phone coverage table.

I intend to bring a 2 meter and 70 cm handheld with me (if knee continues to
improve) on a trip from Horsehoe Meadows to Kennedy Meadows Memorial Day
weekend.  I will determine coverage along the way.  I did map APRS sites
from the Mexican border to Yosemite, and north of Walker Pass, nodes are few
and far between.

Since I developed knee problems, I am seriously considering a SPOT for the
Memorial Day weekend trip.  I know it worked for a friend last year, so I do
not consider reliability an issue.  I also like the tracking feature.  I
wanted to use my APRS radio to record my track, but minimal node coverage
will make for an incomplete track at best.

--
Tom KI6ASP
The Incredible Bulk