[pct-l] Stoves and fuel

Vincent Rupp vincent.rupp at gmail.com
Mon May 4 21:21:05 CDT 2009

I've been using an alcohol stove for three weeks out here.

Heet (methanol) was available in Warner Springs, Idyllwild, Big Bear City,
and now Wrightwood. Weighs more per meal, but 2 oz for the stove balances it
out a little. It does cost about twice as much ($3-$4) at trail towns than
in cities though.

And FWIW, I think all those places also have propane/butane canisters.

I think, all considered, alcohol is the most convenient. So far, at least.
Just build a simmer ring if you want to make stuff with longer cooking time.