[pct-l] stoves

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Mon May 4 16:24:03 CDT 2009

>From http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/stove_comparison.html

The "best stove" depends upon what your use is for. Boiling a lot of
water? Backpacking as a couple? Doing "real" cooking in the back
country?
 Long time without resupply? Winter camping? These are all
questions that need to be asked when considering a stove for
backcountry use.
Just as you would not use a screwdriver to put in a
nail, certain types of stoves are suited for different type of tasks
than another stove.

The Overall summary:

There are many stoves to choose from. Which one is the best depends upon your intended use.

If you are resupplying for less than ten meals, solo and three-season backpacking: Alcohol Stove
If you are a couple and/or going long time between resupplies or need to do real cooking:
Canister Stove other than Jet Boil
If you are solo and want a convenient all in one solution: Jetboil or MSR Reactor
If you are winter camping/high altitude mountaineering  OR doing 3+ person meals: White Gas Stove
Doing lots of "real cooking" in a forest environment and not hiking far: Zip Stove
Want the absolute lightest stove and price/resupply (and don't mind slower boil times) is not an issue: Esbit

 There
are other stoves as well that can be best called "specialty" stoves.
These stoves are less used,
but can prove a viable option for some
people. Zen Stoves has a great summary of these different types of stoves.

For more details ,read the link.

For me, I prefer alcohol because of the KISS part of it. It is also quiet I only do one meal a day. Because of
the mileage I do, a 10 day carry is often 200 to 250 miles. In other words, I can get fuel often enough
to make the (rough) 10 meal rule work for me.

When I do the Canadian Great Divide Trail, I'll probably just go stoveless. Not so much for weight reasons, but
KISS reasons.  (Canisters and HEET are a pain to get in along the Canadian GDT apparently).

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art