[pct-l] To Wrightwood: Info

Vincent Rupp vincent.rupp at gmail.com
Mon May 4 10:30:31 CDT 2009

Hi everyone,

In case you haven't heard, the Acorn Trail to Wrightwood isn't signed at
all, so far as I could see.

For northbound hikers, the trail turns left (west) at the top of the hill.
Look for a post, maybe 8"x8" across and a foot high, on the left side of the
trail. Directly left from there, maybe 15 feet away, is the dirt road.
Directly right is the Acorn Trail, across a large (but not at all
treacherous) patch of snow. After that, the trail is obvious.

And take a LOT of water from Cajon Pass - 6L or so. The mile of vertical is
really nasty. The Swarthout Canyon cache had about 50 1L bottles (and a
snake) two days ago, so that'll go fast. The water at the spring nearby was
the most filthy, unappealing, and horrifying I have ever seen.

There was a lovely stream at the bottom of the Acorn Trail, so you don't
have to get all the way to town for a drink.

There are some patches of snow on the trail above 8200', and there were some
big puddles that looked nice yesterday, but it's melting fast. Baldy and its
environs are still completely under snow, so I imagine Baden-Powell is
similarly covered.

Have fun!

-Vincent Rupp