[pct-l] water caches

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri May 1 19:07:49 CDT 2009

I hiked Devil's Slide southbound to Highway 74 after the kickoff. I
was reminded of all the water caches in So Cal that I had sort of
forgotten about. I hate to say this, but they really bug me. There
are too many of them.

I understand that people want to get involved in the trail even if
they can't hike it, but I wish they would just help out at the larger
caches rather than scatter bottles all over the place. It's really
not even necessary. Believe it or not, it is possible to walk 20
miles and more carrying the water you need. A detour of a few 10ths
of a mile for a fill-up is not a big deal. And I would go further and
say that learning how to deal with relatively waterless hiking brings
a sense of accomplishment and a feeling of independence you can't get
when water bottles are littered all over the trail.

Ok, enough complaining. I appreciate the effort that people have put
into helping us and their good intentions toward us. I have even
relied on a few caches (rely meaning that when I got there I took
some water with gratitude and once I even truly relied on a cache by
skipping an on-trail source with the expectation of filling up at the
cache--yep, I did this and lived to tell the tale.)

As for Hat Creek Rim, what I remember was that hiking north the first
water was from a pipe that had sprung a leak. I'm sure they've fixed
the leak by now and anyway the next water was very shortly afterwards
at a lovely little stream. After the stream the next water was at a
powerhouse and the next was at Baum Lake. Any of these are drinkable
and I'm pretty sure the lovely stream is in the Data Book.

Going south, the first water other than the small cache at the
observation area would be Subway cave.

Hat Creek Rim is a long waterless stretch but it is doable. For
Northbounders it'll bring back memories of your So Cal days when you
get there.