[pct-l] April 1st Sierra Snow Conditions

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Tue Mar 31 23:26:26 CDT 2009

I'll let Postholer tell why he hates the event.

Others have complained that the event tends to create most thru hikers
starting around the dates of ADZ and thus becoming a herd that
negatively impacts the trail as so many come thru in a short period of
time. Further some trail towns and trail angels have too many hikers at
once to reasonably accommodate.

OTOH, those planning to thru hike northbound would usually start about
that time anyway.  Starting then puts the average paced hiker to (South)
Kennedy Meadows about June 15 which is about the earliest typical thru
hikers want to head into the Sierra because of snow and stream
crossings. The other reason for starting at the end of April and
entering the Sierra around June 15th is to allow time to get to Canada
before weather in Washington gets too rainy and snowy.

Also the ADZ is an annual event for some hikers and trail angels.

I went last year. Now I've been there and done that. For those
unfamiliar with long distant hiking on the PCT, the ADZ provides a lot
of useful information. Also some hikers do form groups for at least the
first miles of the hike.

There are also some gear vendors at the ADZ and the vendors may have
gear to sell there or just take orders. So you can spend money there and
buy gear.

And so I've heard, there is a lot of partying by some of the attendees.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>