[pct-l] stoves and water filters

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 12:50:32 CDT 2009

>> I am replacing my MSR Whisperlite stove and would like suggestions
>> from past thru-hikers.  I am thinking of going with a screw-on
>> canister stove.  Are the standard butane/propane canisters readily
>> available in most resupply towns?  Any other thoughts, pros/cons with
>> that style?

Check with the post office and with UPS about shipping yourself canisters.
I've heard about them in the past permitting this as a "ground shipping"
only.
I've hiked most of my PCT miles using solid fuel tabs.  They are not
available on the trail.  I've had to ship them to myself.  REI only ships
the UPS.

What I'm doing this year and did last year is to use a Varga Triad alcohol
stove.  I can flip it over and use it for solid fuel.  I'll be using 1/2
alcohol and 1/2 solid fuel.  Still, my canister stove is much, much easier
to use.  If we are having dinner in the same place I will be jealous while
you are eating before me.

Monty

Lightweight Backpacking
The fun goes up when the weight goes down
-Warner Springs Monty