[pct-l] '09 thru-hiker

Romano Scaturro romano at swiftwireless.com
Sun Mar 22 16:50:09 CDT 2009

Hello to All;

I'm planning on thru-hiking the PCT this year but am still deciding on how and when.  Allow me to explain.

I live in Arizona so it's easy to jump on and off the trail at different sections.  My original plan was to hike to KM starting early April and then come home, wait for a few weeks, and then return to finish when the high passes along the JMT are relatively clear.  Then I began considering a SOBO attempt beginning late June/early July from Canada and going all the way.  Now I think another option might be to get the Southern section done to KM heading NOBO beginning in April and then the rest heading SOBO from Canadian border starting sometime in July.

What's your opinion?  Please be honest.  I think I'm in pretty good shape (ran a 2:35 marathon this winter) and hoping to eventually hike between 20 & 30 miles a day.

Really looking forward to meeting other hikers this year and have enjoyed reading all the threads on this forum.

Thanks,
Romano (Trailname: Greybeard...given to me by my kids in 05 on a JMT thru hike, though I don't really like it as it makes me feel old so I'm hoping others will help me find a new one).