[pct-l] Kennedy Meadows, Drop Box, Pack List

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Mar 15 09:47:19 CDT 2009

Good morning, Phil,

Many years ago boots and shoes invariably had leather soles which were slick
and provided poor traction.  To improve the traction for anyone who walked
outside cobblers installed nails through the soles – nails that had big
heads on the outside and points that were clinched on the inside.  These
were called hobnails.  Loggers had a similar arrangement on their boot soles
called caulks – pronounced “corks” -- which are pointed steel spikes a
half-inch or more long, and they screw into the sole rather than being
driven in.  As soon as moldable rubber and plastic became available the
whole industry changed – Vibram is a good example.  Today hobnails are no
longer seen but loggers’ “corks” are still  used by loggers here in the
Pacific NW.

Molded rubber or plastic lug soles are pretty good overall, but they don’t
have a lot of bite on a relatively smooth, slick surface.  Vibram can be a
real hazard on those surfaces, particularly on wet rocks.  Using sheet metal
screws in rubber shoe soles is just a way to provide some extra “bite”.  It
is very much like using studded tires on a vehicle.  They aren’t perfect,
and they won’t substitute for deep, aggressive traction lugs when the going
gets bad, but they are a definite improvement under slick conditions.

Most PCT hikers walk over the snowpack without any traction aids, just
whatever tread pattern happens to be on the shoes.  There is some slipping
and sliding but we just have to slow down a bit and be really careful on
certain smooth and slick places.  Those are the places where shoe-screws can
be helpful.  If conditions get measurably worse – as with steep, drifted,
side hill snowpack without previous tracks -- neither shoe lugs or screws
are sufficient:  That’s where I like the instep crampons.

Instep crampons usually work OK because we are trail-walking not engaged in
steep alpine climbing. Steep climbing usually requires the 10 or 12-point,
full-platform crampons lashed to stiff, heavy duty, mountaineering boots.

I went through the Sierras in a low snow year and I didn’t carry any
traction aids. Almost every day I wished I had the screws, especially when
wading creeks over slick rocks.  I won’t over-sell screws; they weren’t
required, but I find that at my age I’m not as agile as I was a mere 50
years ago, so they would have provided a measure of additional security.

Maybe two or three times I wished for the crampons for a short distance, but
here was always a work-around available.  If there had been greater mileages
of snowpack I would have gladly used them.

If you do a net search for “shoe screws” you’ll find several sites.  Here’s
one:  http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

I use ½ “ #8 slotted hex washer sheet metal screws which are very commonly
available. They can be installed with a screwdriver but doing so is a real
pain.  You probably already have a socket or nut-driver to try out.  I got a
nut-driver bit that is intended to be used in a drill, and I glued it in a
short wooden handle.  My driver bit has a little magnet in the socket to
hold the screw when you start  -- very handy.  The screws weigh 0.05 ounces
each and my driver weighs 0.76 ounces.  Screws are easy and cheap to try at
home, just don’t walk across a finished floor with them.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye