[pct-l] Chickens on a leash...revolutionary UL concept

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Mar 15 00:55:12 CDT 2009

Hi gang,
I just came up with a brilliant idea that will absolutely revolutionize
UL backpacking.
On a ''thru-hike'' the heaviest item in the pack is food.
If there was only a way to eliminate that weight and the resupply
nightmares.

How?.....CHICKENS ON A LEASH.....that's how!!!

I hear some snickering in the background.
Hey, think about it guys....seriously.....food that walks, what's wrong
with that?
Chickens lay eggs, right?
So every morning you have fresh eggs, every evening you stick a chicken
in the pot.
EGGS  &  MEAT....high in protein....just what a weary hiker needs.
Are you guys starting to see the picture?....there is more.
At night you tie the chickens to a tree and if a bear invades your
campsite, the chicken's clucking will awaken you so you can chase the
bear away.
You will not need a bear canister, because your food walks on it's own.
Besides, chickens don't seem to do to well in a bear canister.
There is more yet........if you get caught in a blizzard, you stick the
chickens in the sleeping bag with you.....chickens generate lot of heat.
Food that walks, bear alarm, insulation and it all walks.....what is
wrong with that?
Are you guys finally getting the picture?
With an ''ultra-lite'' system like that you guys could break every
record on the book.
This will be my legacy, my contribution to the hiking community.
I will be the hero of the ''ultra-lite'' revolution.
Yes, I'm so exited about this I can't wait for the avalanche of praise
that will be heaped upon me.

Ohhh yes, be sure there is at least one rooster in your flock to insure
reproduction, so you don't run out of chickens before you reach Canada.

Well so long now, I'm getting ready to head for the Sierra for another
week of skiing.

JMT Reinhold
Your exited trail companion