[pct-l] Where to buy Instep Crampons!

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Mar 14 18:22:43 CDT 2009

Good afternoon, Pat,

Thanks for the comment.  I've had very good experiences with the CMI instep
crampons over the years that I've used them.  I currently have two pair: one
with the web straps and friction buckles, and one pair with the plastic
straps having regular leather-type buckles.  Of the probably hundreds of
total miles I've worn them; most has been on snowpack covered side-hill
trails here in the Pacific NW.  I don’t usually bother with them if the
snowpack is substantially flat.  The crampons have a width adjustment, and I
keep them snug to the sides of the shoe sole.

I wear them over trail shoes and gaiters.  The shorter straps on each foot
are oriented upwards and are secured directly over the top of the foot.  The
longer, rearward-oriented straps cross behind and above the heels, then wrap
forward around the lower leg just above the ankle to buckle in front.  Secured
in that fashion they always seem to stay in place. It is rare that they
loosen or move at all, and I’ve never had them rotate to the side of a shoe.

Enjoy your hiking season,

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye