[pct-l] Hiking .vs Driving Safety

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 19:23:14 CDT 2009

With Respect to mortality rate on the trail of thru-hikers vs. others
(section, weekend, day hikers), I expect that indeed there are more
fatalities among shorter distance hikers than we're aware of.  The day
I finished last year (true finish, picking up formerly fire-closed
miles in NorCal), I got a call from another thru that finished the
same day only farther south.  I had been walking in rain for my final
bit, but he was walking south in snow to Donner Pass and found out
when he got there that one or more people had died of hypothermia on
the trail near him that same day.

I don't think he felt himself in a lot of danger --- a pretty
experienced hiker by then (he's shooting for his triple crown CDT
finish this year), he knew what to do in snow; my guess is that the
person(s) who perished in the same area at that time knew less well
what to do (or not to do or whatever).

Indeed it's tough to generate statistics that are accurate and paint a
clean picture.  I'm with those that feel the trail isn't at all
dangerous --- relative to lots of other ways we spend our time --- for
a person with good sense and experience.   I'd be surprised to find
many thru-hikers that think otherwise (?).

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle