[pct-l] toughening feet

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 18:51:07 CDT 2009

Back a century or two ago, when I was a teenager, and working for Del Monte
(remember them?) Canning Co., canning green beans, even wearing rubber
gloves almost to your elbow, the curse of the job wasn't the heat,the
'beautiful' hairnet, the pay, the cement floor, it was 'bean rash'.  To
combat this most dread of afflictions, we painted our forearms with Tincture
of Benzine, which I think Wheeew praised as a sticky way to hold
bandages/tape on the skin longer.  Don't know about that, we always let the
paint job dry well and powdered the insides of our gloves before donning
them but the stuff was supposed to actually 'toughen' the skin.   And it did
something, aside from turning the forearms sort of a S___-brindle brown and
giving one a somewhat strange aroma  Religiously applied, I found I seldom
got bean-rash.  I diminished the side effects by only dating guys who worked
the same place I did, they understood.  Would it work on feet?, perhaps
especially (again, completely dry) on 'new' skin from healed blisters that
wouldn't be as tough as the rest of the skin on a foot?
FireFly