[pct-l] foot toughening

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Mar 13 18:27:17 CDT 2009

On Mar 13, 2009, at 3:43 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Re: foot toughening

Different lacing systems can actually work quite well. I have some
shoes that are a wee bit too big. I was hiking in them the other day
and walking downhill with the laces tight enough to prevent a lot of
forward slippage, I was being hurt on the top of my foot. So I
stopped and relaced the problem shoe in a way that no laces crossed
over where it hurt. It worked like a charm. I did this only on one
shoe, too.

With shoes and long distance hiking you really have to get creative
sometimes. Don't be afraid to make mods to your shoes rather than try
to tough it out.

For example, I wore water shoes because they felt comfortable but the
heels being open sort of like sandals posed a problem so I duct taped
the heel holes closed.

In Idyllwild there as a pair of running shoes with the ankle part cut
out completely. Obviously this is what allowed someone with terrible
ankle blisters get to Idyllwild.

At one point a blister on my little toe hurt so bad I walked 15 miles
with a flip-flop on one foot and a shoe on the other. I figured if
Nepalese porters can hike in flip-flops, why can't I?

Whatever it takes, you know? Always be ready to improvise.