[pct-l] Clothing in general.

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Thu Mar 12 22:18:16 CDT 2009

> Depending on where I am money wise here in the next few weeks. I might be
> hitting the thrift stores here to get a lot of my clothes. I hear a lot of
> decent hiking style shirts can be found there. Anyone else do this or know
> specifically what I should be looking for?

I am a lowly section hiker (I do a month every summer plus lots of lead
up hikes) but I have gotten nearly all my trail clothing at thrift stores.
We hike in silk shirts or polyester dress shirts, or cotton shirts for
the hot desert.  The shirts don't last very long so I put a couple new
ones in every resupply box.  They are dirt cheap at thrift stores.
We wear nylon long pants, also found at thrift stores.  These are
usually the cargo type pants with lots of leg pockets.  They last a LONG
time.  We have had some for more than a decade.  We like the Sportif
brand pants. They are lightweight but wear like iron.
We also have found lots of down, fleece, and even gore-tex jackets at
thrift stores.  But for reliable rainwear we pay retail.  I swear by my
silnylon poncho and waterproof coated rain pants from Campmor.  Campmor
is a good cheap substitute for thrift stores.  They have a  lot of
low-price (not name brand) serviceable gear.
Chuck Chelin's clothing list is an excellent starting point.
Marion