[pct-l] Clothing in general.

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Mar 12 17:42:08 CDT 2009

On Mar 12, 2009, at 2:32 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> How
> many pairs of shorts do people generally bring with them up front?

I bring only what I wear and nothing more. That goes for shirts,
underwear, pants, but not for socks. I take 3 pairs of socks and wear
two of them.

> Will a pair of good ole long johns
> suffice as your night clothing?
I used silk long underwear. They are paper thin and very light. They
were warm enough to sleep in. Eventually I sent them home because I
slept in my clothes.

> I might be
> hitting the thrift stores here to get a lot of my clothes.

This is a great idea. I bought a cheap tank top at the thrift shop
and that became my uniform until S. Lake Tahoe. I lost enough weight
that I needed a new tank top. Now that I'm fat again, I wear the
thrift shop one again.

What to look for are synthetic materials that breathe and dry
quickly. This will be mostly nylon and polyester. Avoid cotton. Wool
is good. Whatever looks like people use for exercise (tennis,
running) is good, although I hear you can have great success with a
polyester men's dress shirt. I may try that myself.