[pct-l] Shoes, toothpaste

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 16:07:55 CDT 2009

Catching up on a couple of topics,

In regards to Toothpaste --- apart from the previously listed options
of Dr. Bronners (I agree with those that say "yuck"), or a small tube
of toothpaste, or just no toothpaste, an option that I like is tooth
powder.  You can make it yourself (google it), or buy it.  I used this
stuff last year:
http://www.amazon.com/Eco-Dent-Toothpowder-Mint-2-oz/dp/B00017OQWU

Found it at my local drug store and repackaged it in a smaller
container, something along the line of this:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/microdrop_dropper_plus_bottle.html

Yes, this is arguably getting a bit gram-weenie-ish, but one quite
small and light mini dropper type container carried enough for much or
all of the PCT for me last year (I did refill once part way along but
I'm not sure I needed to).

Shoes --- buying multiple pairs ahead of time or not:  I did buy
several pairs, and it worked for me, with the caveat that I asked my
wife to order additional pairs after I had done a few hundred miles
and so could confirm the size that I wanted.

I think pre-purchase of shoes is a fine option IF you have already
done some relatively long distance in that particular model (and
size).         Even then it's certainly not necessary unless the model
(or size) of shoe that you favor isn't commonly available or maybe you
find them at a particularly good price ahead of time.

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle