[pct-l] Bear Canisters

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Mon Mar 9 18:22:54 CDT 2009

Yes, Kennedy Meadows is the 'normal' point to start carrying a bear canister for nobo thrus
(first 'required' area starts at Cottonwood Pass)...

> Last year I put my ‘can in the loan program and the folks that used it wanted it
> send it to the Saufley’s rather than to KM. ...
> I would not be willing to carry the darn ‘can an additional 250 miles from Agua Dulce...

Hiker Heaven in Agua Dulce, thanks to L-Rod and BuzzSaw for their generosity and help,
is the storage and distribution point for the "PCT Perpetual Bear Canister Loan Program"...

Why Hiker Heaven?
1. Free 'permanent' storage of the canisters in the off season.
2. Almost all thrus stop at HH. It's only 1 mile off the PCT to HH even if one doesn't plan staying over.
3. At Agua Dulce, one can get any kind/type of food you want - if not locally, then in nearby SoCal stores.
4. One can buy the bulk of their Sierra food while at AD/HH, pack it into the canister and ship it to KM.
  One could also pack some of the Sierra 'extras' (warmer long underwear, headnet, etc.) into the same box.
5. Shipping to KM from HH gives sufficient time for your canister/food to arrive at KM before you do!

The consensus of '07 and '08 borrowers was that it worked "fine" to "great" getting the
canister at HH and shipping it packed with food to KM...
Many thrus ship at least 'some' food to KM, so it might as well already be packed in a bear canister, too... ;-)

I will also mention, once again, the possibility of Seki requiring use of bear canisters
(or food storage lockers if available) in ALL of the Seki wilderness starting in '09, not
just the 3 smaller areas as in 2008 or prior...
There are NO public food storage lockers along the PCT North of Woods Creek bridge to the
northern Seki boundary (Piute Creek) - a 53 mile stretch...
See <http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/sekiwilderness.htm>,
<http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/bear_bc.htm>, and
<http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/foodstoragemap.htm> (2008 map!)...
The '09 season regs and map should hopefully be made public by early April...

Happy trails!!!
Jim / PITA