[pct-l] Dr. Bronner's Soap

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon Mar 9 14:03:53 CDT 2009

They are two different entities with different functions. You need both of them.

Dr Bonners is a soap to be used for cleaning and removing residues from surfaces. While it may physically remove some microorganisms from the surface during the cleaning process, it is not bacteriocidal and so does not kill them, nor does it kill those left behind. I always carry at least one ounce; usually two. Great stuff!

Purell is a dedicated waterless hand sanitizer. It reduces the number of microorganisms on the treated surface.  It claims to kill 99.9% of the microorganisms it contacts. Note it is a "sanitizer', not a sterilizer. Large numbers of microorganisms can remain. Killing 99.9% of 1 million leaves 0.1% (1000) still alive. Like soap, it will physically remove some residues - if they're alcohol-soluble - during the mechanical action (hand rubbing) involved in its use, it is not formulated for that. I always carry 2 to 4 oz, depending on how far it is between resupply points, for use after every bathroom break and before snacking or preparing meals.

How long it lasts depends on how heavy-handed you are with it. One drop is usually sufficient for most things; 2 for a ziplock bag of laundry. Personally, I can not stand the taste of the stuff so would never use it again for tooth cleaning.