[pct-l] how altimeters work

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Mar 3 17:58:39 CST 2009

Good morning, Lenny,

To retain reasonable accuracy a barometric altimeter must be recalibrated
regularly.  The usual recommendation is to recalibrate every 12 hours, or
every 50 miles if driving.  I used an analog altimeter for many years and my
practice was to recalibrate during the day whenever I encountered what I
thought was a reasonably accurate point or feature based upon a topographic
map or a vertical control point such as a brass-cap benchmark.  Then, every
night before I slept, I wrote down the elevation of my camp.  When I awoke
in the morning I compared the morning’s elevation with what I noted the last
night.   Overnight the barometric pressure often changed a bit so I
corrected to last night’s elevation.  If some time passed and I couldn’t
find any reliable elevation I just set the barometer to standard pressure
which is 29.92 in. Hg. and used the resulting elevation.

I don’t carry an altimeter much anymore, I carry a GPS.  It’s not the GPS
model that has a separate built-in altimeter, I only have the
satellite-based altitude reading which is less accurate, but it’s usually OK
for my purpose.  I’m more interested in the X and Y coordinates rather than
the Z altitude.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye