[pct-l] Ice Axes, period

Viajarapie ietura at viajarapie.info
Sun Mar 1 11:28:19 CST 2009

 > The Whippet is an ice pick on a pole. Essentially. It is the
practical and handy answer to the need for a self-arrest tool always in
hand (and better for balance than an ice axe, too). It is good as a
hiking pole any season and is there when you fall. What a deal.

I've never used one of these but I wonder how it affects the self arrest
position to have a handle that's 4 feet long and can bend easily under
your own body weight.
Again, I have no experience with the whippet but it looks like the best
self arrest tool... if you don't have to self arrest. If I have to, give
an axe every time.
rainskirt