[pct-l] High Sierra Pass Conditions

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Mon Jun 29 16:07:05 CDT 2009

Great post!  Very helpful and I thank you for taking all the time to
write this.
Here's a tip that has helped us out in the past.  As llama packers we
try to avoid snow travel.  So we usually go in late July or August.  In
some years we still find snow on the passes named below.  When
approaching the pass we watch for hoofprints.  The horse packers know
detours on passes that go through areas that melt out early.  So when we
see snow on the pass ahead we watch for hoofprints and follow them.  We
have gotten over Cottonwood Pass and Silver Pass by doing this, on
safer, snow free routes.
Marion