[pct-l] Glacier Peak detour

Charles Cornwall charlie98107 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 29 14:55:58 CDT 2009

In response to the 2 emails below (sorry if I'm too late for the 2nd one, I was out hiking over the weekend), I did this section last September southbound.  I had planned to take the detour route, but all the nobo's I ran into said the real PCT was just fine and that is the way they went and everybody was going that way and not the detour.  So that is what I did also, that's the way I wanted to go in the first place.  Of course I don't know what kind of conditions this last winter created out there, and I don't know what it will be like in July (I know that is the point of the first posting, but I will give you the benefit of my experience anyway.)

There weren't any fords last year - there were either bridges or logs across all the streams/rivers.  The log across the Suiattle River for me was a piece of cake.  I just walked across it - just don't look down at the water!  This must be a different log than previous years the way people have talked about it, scooching across, etc.  It's about 100 yards upstream or so.  Everything I'm telling you here is from memory (which for me is not that great) so don't take any of the numbers literally.

The legendary blowdowns are primarily in one valley, the first one after you cross the Suiattle (going sobo), before you start uphill again.  It's 2-3-4 miles or so, I don't remember exactly, but once you get past this valley and start uphill you're at the end of the blowdowns.  But there are some huge ones in there.

The only place I had a problem was going up the other side (south side) after crossing Milk Creek.  The trail is washed out here on much of the hillside.  I imagine coming downhill (nobo) is much easier than going uphill (sobo) here, but of course I eventually made it.  You really need to pay attention to where the trail is taking off at the bottom (to the right facing the uphill slope) - I tried to go up the wrong way first before I realized where the trail really went.  Once you get up a ways you will cross the slide area (from west to east).  Then farther up it looks like you will have to cross it again, but this time if you do you will have to cross right back - I found out the hard way.  This is right at a switchback, so stay on the east side and just go uphill a short distance and you will be right on the trail again.  Actually this is the end of the slide area and the trail is good from here on.  Last year there was a PCT bandanna tied
 across the trail here for those coming downhill.

The southern part has had a lot of trail work and new bridges and looks great.  Going through this area really gives you an appreciation for the power of nature/storms/water.  People say the detour section has some great scenery too, but is much more difficult hiking.  There are fords on the detour side, a couple of them at least.

Charlie

[pct-l] glacier peak detour in july  Friday, June 26, 2009 1:29 PM
From: "Lisa Pettibone" <lisa.pettibone at gmail.com>To: pct-l at backcountry.net
My partner and I are starting a SOBO hike the beginning of July and are
wondering which of the three options we should take around Glacier Peak.
I've heard that NOBOers took the PCT last year without major problems, but
am not sure how that would account for snowmelt and the fords. I'm leaning
toward Jonathan Ley's suggested detour, but have also printed the USFS maps
for the "official" reroute.
Thanks! --The Tortoise (AT '06)

[pct-l] Indian pass to miners creek detour + southbound update  Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:42 PM
From: "jonathan king" <jwking at gmail.com>To: pct-l at backcountry.net
Hi, southbounder here. Left manning on the 17th. Plenty of snow but
passable. Some of us had axes, others none. We all made it through.
Goretex socks are my friends... We were told in stehekin to use the
detour and bail at trinity trailhead because the next section is
impassable. We took the advice, and now have gotten info in skykomish
(via the awesome Dinsmores) that the non detour section of trail (via
white and red passes) is passable, or was last season. Anyone have any
data on this? We are thinking of heading out in the morning to pick up
the missed chunk of trail. Any quick responses would be much
appreciated.
Socks