[pct-l] Eyes in the dark

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 28 12:04:41 CDT 2009

I just hiked Oregon Section A Sobo.  I spent the first night at Mt. Ashland Campground.  Shortly after arriving, as I was investigating for a good spot, I saw two eyes peering at me from out of the dark.  They looked right at me, then looked away, then looked back, then away again, then back once more, and then were gone.  They were a blue-green color and were clearly front-mounted.  I can rule out:

Raccoon (Their eyes reflect red.)
Opossum and skunk (They're too small and their eyes are not front-mounted.)
Deer (They're not front-mounted and the eyes didn't quite look big enough.)

This pretty much leaves, if I'm not mistaken, bear, cougar, or coyote.  Any ideas?

-Nathan Miller
Newberg, OR