[pct-l] [Fwd: Re: hiking the John Muir Trail/1000 Island Lake]

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Thu Jun 25 22:22:32 CDT 2009

Brick Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Jeff<jolson at olc.edu> wrote:
>> However, I never felt that the trail was crowded - ever
>
> Rae Lakes & Vidette Meadows can be a zoo on weekends, as can 1000
> island lake,  and anywhere easily reached by a day's hike.

I have never camped at 1000 Island Lake, despite its beauty.  I always
hike on by and camp behind the ponds at Island Pass.  This is actually
my favorite camp in all of the Sierras.  I have never had to share it
with anyone. I have heard legends of the dreaded "Kamikaze" bear at the
lake, who climbs trees above the hanging bear bag and launches himself
onto the bag, hoping it will come out of the tree with him.  Again, a
bear can foils his evil plan.
Marion