[pct-l] hiking the John Muir Trail

Jeff jolson at olc.edu
Thu Jun 25 16:06:39 CDT 2009

I've hike the JMT, or parts of it, off and on since the late 1960s.
What I've seen is there is a fall-off of people after Labor Day.
However, I never felt that the trail was crowded - ever.  There was
supposedly a bubble of hikers in the 70s when the counter-culture made
backpacking cool.  I didn't notice it.

Sure I'd see five or six or more groups of people hiking the opposite
direction on the busiest of days, but I choose not to camp near them.
If you get 100 yards off the trail, you have the Sierra to yourself.
Most people don't camp more than 50' from the trail it seems...

The worst I've seen was at Tyndall Creek - there were six or seven
parties - 30 ore more people - camped there when I cruised in last
summer in a rainstorm.  We didn't care, and set up above the crowds,
much to some people's annoyance I think.

Jeffrey Olson
Santa Rosa, CA