[pct-l] Public transportation to Yosemite

Halfmile halfmile at pctmap.net
Sat Jun 20 17:40:38 CDT 2009

Bill,
Getting to Yosemite is easy, as Amtrak has service to Yosemite Valley
(they call it Yosemite Visitor Center at amtrak.com). The train starts
in Bakersfield and goes through Freso on the way to Merced where you
switch to a bus. If you fly to LA, Amtrak will bus you to the train in
Bakersfield. If can catch one of the first few trains out of
Bakersfield it does not involve an overnight say, although I would
imagine traveling from Boston would probably involve either an
overnight stay someplace, or traveling all night.
Flying to Bakersfield and spending the night at the Best Western Hill
House (2 blocks from the Amtrak station) would probably be a good way
to do this and Bakersfield would be easier to get to (than Fresno)
from Lone Pine if you need to fly back home after your JMT hike. The
return from Lone Pine is more difficult via public transportation, and
probably can't be done on a week end.
-Halfmile