[pct-l] Conditions north of Yosemite

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 17 20:49:39 CDT 2009

I have the next three weeks off from work and was planning on continuing my section hikes north into the JMT, but it seems to be a bit early in the season for me with all the weather.  So I thought perhaps I would skip ahead a bit to say Northern Kennedy Meadows and hike to Echo Lake or maybe start there and go to Donner Pass or Sierra City.  According to the data book, the elevations in those areas are mostly below 9000 ft except for Top of the Sierra at 10500' and Ducks Pass at 9380'.  I'm looking for a pleasant hiking experience along the trail without having to lug a bunch of heavy winter equipment and fight the snow.  Can anyone provide me with information on the current trail conditions and/or forecasts in those areas?

Otherwise I'm thinking of waiting a week in the hope that the weather changes and the snow starts to melt.  I had wanted to hike Tuolume Meadows south to Red's Meadow and then drive down to Trail Pass and hike north to Independence via Kearsarge Pass.  I only have these few weeks and I don't want to waist them waiting around for weather that doesn't change in time.  Augh!!

Thanks for your thoughts

Shepherd