[pct-l] Remedies for loss of appetite (Clint Kaul)

Albach ralbach at austin.rr.com
Tue Jun 16 18:29:20 CDT 2009

Hi Clint,

I have a similar issue that arises much earlier in my hikes (typically
day 3) and what a doctor friend of mine suggested the issue might be.

My symptoms are the following:

I can't put anything in my stomach (water included) unless I've either
stopped and rested or the food is very very easily digested.

The doc suggested:

Blood flow is "prioritized" according to activity. If you set the
standard for "oxygen and energy to the legs" by constantly walking then
that is where the blood goes. Things like upper digestive track
activities are a low priority. For me if I eat or drink I need to reset
the priority by first stopping hiking and resting say 20 minutes and
then allow the stomach at least say 20 minutes of rest after eating and
drinking. As the day progresses this condition becomes more acute and as
the days progress it kicks in earlier during each day.

I have experienced this in other situations other than hiking: (a) when
training intensively (I compete in water polo); I do not feel hungry
until at least an hour after I stop; (b) as a young man working at a
cotton gin I had to rest at least 20 minutes prior to eating anything.

What I've discovered is that certain foods like the sport gels and
carbonated drinks manage to stay down during activity. I took to hard
candys and sport gels for refueling whilst walking and pedialite mixes
seem to do OK too. But bottom line for me is that to resupply I simply
have to take time to let digestion begin.

Bonus note - I dropped out of hiking Section C last week above Fawnskin
due to an aggravated ACL. Not broken but just strained enough to cause
acute pain every 3rd or 4th step. My wife the former collegiate cross
country runner tells me that joints don't operate well unless well
hydrated. Likely this is not news to anybody on-list but it all comes
together. If I want to hike without tearing down my body in the process
(forget the no pain no gain mantra) then I'll simply have to learn to
take time to properly hydrate and eat. I suspect you will have to do the
same.

-Robert