[pct-l] JMT in late August with poncho rainfly

Hernandez hernand at magicriver.net
Fri Jun 12 16:47:52 CDT 2009

I've hiked and camped in the Sierra since I was 3 (in 1978, if you want to
know my age.)  Hiked the JMT Southbound in '06.  Weather at higher
elevations can change quickly, and if you're above tree line when the
weather fouls it's no bueno.  I think, though, that you will be "ok" in a
tarp tent.  My experience of August weather in the Sierra is that you'll get
a rain shower, daily, starting at 3 or 4pm, and lasting for about half an
hour.  I'm serious, it's like clockwork.  If you see a rain cloud heading
your way, and you can see the other end of the cloud, I'd throw a pack cover
on, but not bother with the rain gear; if you keep hiking, you'll be warm
enough and dry soon enough.  Of course, if you can't see the other end of
the storm system, layer up.   You may save some weight by going tarp, but I
highly recommend you bring layers.  I want to reiterate two excellent points
made by previous posters older and wiser than I: 1. practice with your gear
before heading out.  2. Camping location is key.  I like to camp up and away
from rivers and standing bodies of water, but below treeline, and ideally
near a fast running rivulet, the tiny, tiny, seasonal kind ignored on most
maps.  The mosquito count is gonna be related to the amount of snow, and the
rate of snow melt, which lead to standing ponds and quagmires.  '06 was a
bounty year for skeeters.  I forgot to bring a bug head net, and was so
upset that I almost quite before the first pass (Donahue).  However, I
gritted my teeth and stuck with it, bought a head net at Red's Meadow, and
then proceeded to not need it South of Red's Meadow (the landscape is
considerably drier as you head South).   Oh well.  Sorry for the long, long
answer to a simple question.  Have a Happy and Safe Hike!

H.R HuffnPuff