[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 18, Issue 50

Pat Megowan patmegowan at comcast.net
Fri Jun 12 13:35:04 CDT 2009

Hi Bill,

>> I imagine I'd be all right but not if I encounter frequent or heavy rain
>> and wind.  Comments?

Be grateful for good conditions, but don't depend on them; wishful thinking
keeps too many SAR units busy. You could easily encounter heavy rain/wind
and snow for a few days; I've had it happen and was underprepared, a very
unpleasant reality check.

A tarp set up well in a good location can handle this just as well as a
tent, but the skill/judgment bar is probably higher. Factors include siting
(wind protection, drainage, ground that will hold stakes, etc.), skill to
pitch it well (different pitches suit different circumstances, discussed in
detail by Jardine, Townsend, Jordan, Fletcher, and many others, improvising
w/other gear), judgment (e.g. when to bail), and what other gear you are
carrying (less enclosure usu. means less warmth).

I'd encourage you to practice this in your yard or smaller trips and then
seriously visualize at least a couple of days of wind and rain and light
snow. Imagine you are camped up high and exposed at Guitar Lake (one of the
places I had this happen), or tucked among trees down in LeConte canyon.
Imagine that an intense downpour gets some of your gear damp, or the wind
pulls the stakes out and you're exposed until you get them back in--still
doing OK?

Full disclosure - I use a one pound pyramid-type tarp (duomid) which can
handle pretty terrifying conditions and goes up so fast I've put it up for a
snack break on a blustery day. Current raingear is a 5 ounce Driducks jacket
that gets very infrequent use, and an umbrella which has worked well for me
in the Sierras, N. Cascades, and high arctic. No magic to any of these, but
they work well for me.

Mosquitoes in late August/early September would be pretty low on the worry
list. You may want to take pictures if you see any.

>> Also, I've gone a week with no stove and only cold food/drink.  Will two
>> plus weeks be different?

How would you have felt about this on the last day of that week of cold
food?

And how would you feel if the weather turned stormy? I did a practice
"stranded overnight w/out tent or bag" once--windy w/freezing rain--with
several other people. The only person who had a decent night was a guy who
had a hot drink every 90 minutes or so. He had a very crude improvised
shelter compared to others, but the added heat was big both physically and
mentally.

With some cooking systems weighing under a half pound (incl stove, pot,
cozy, spoon) I'd be surprised if the weight savings in dried cookable food
didn't offset the weight of stove and fuel. If you don't like to fool with
cooking that's fine, but it doesn't have to be a big weight penalty.

of course YMMV.

Pat