[pct-l] JMT in late August with poncho rainfly

Bill Thoms wthomsjr at comcast.net
Thu Jun 11 13:05:39 CDT 2009

To offset the weight of a bear canister and extra food I am thinking of
doing the JMT southbound beginning in late summer without my 4 lb Clip
Flashlight tent.  My backpackers poncho can be rigged with my trekking
poles, two stakes and two guy lines with two more stakes into a long slim
rainfly.  I have a headnet and will obtain a piece of plastic for a
groundcloth.  I imagine I'd be all right but not if I encounter frequent or
heavy rain and wind.  Comments?

Also, I've gone a week with no stove and only cold food/drink.  Will two
plus weeks be different?