[pct-l] What story about the tick???

twolegs at roadrunner.com twolegs at roadrunner.com
Wed Jun 10 14:05:26 CDT 2009

Rena, I only replied to Amanda, so my "story about the tick" wasn't on the list .... here it is:

Amanda ...

I use the military style permethrin soak and it worked well for me.  Easier than
spraying.  The stuff I bought came with a big heavyweight plastic bag.  I washed
the clothing I wanted to soak (my socks, pants, shorts, shirts, bandana, and sun
hat) in the washing machine and put it in the bag (the instructions, as I
recall, said to first wet the clothing), then put in the permethrin which I
believe I diluted with water first.  I don't remember how long it soaked for,
probably a while.  Then instructions said to take it all out of the bag just
soaking wet and hang it up that way to dry.  I did this outside on plastic
hangers hung on the grape arbor in the back yard.  Later that afternoon the sun
and breeze had dried everything and it felt perfectly normal.  That there was
"stuff" dried into the fabric was not detectable at all.

On the long hot dry hike up the 16 miles from Cajon Pass to the Acorn Trail, I
stopped halfway and sat on the ground, leaning up against the slope, with my
knees drawn up in front of me.  Comfy.  Then I noticed a %#*@#$ tick crawling up
my thigh toward my knee.  It crawled and crawled and crawled ... and crawled a
little more ... and just a little more ... and just a tiny bit more ... then
stopped ... and finally just curled up in a ball and rolled off my leg.
Priceless.

Happy Trails,

Two Legs