[pct-l] SPOT lessons learned?

twolegs at roadrunner.com twolegs at roadrunner.com
Tue Jun 9 22:03:07 CDT 2009

> Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 19:52:27 -0400
> From: Thomas Jamrog <balrog at midcoast.com>
> I totally agree with you about hikers in the bush needing to know about hypothermia. More people die from it in the 40 degree range than you think. I learned a great >tip from Mors Kochanski, an outdoor educator from Canada ( His quote, "The more you know the less you carry.") .  His simple  test for hypothermic capacity  that if >you are not able to touch your thumb to your little finger, you must take immediate steps to warm up.

I appreciate this valuable tip to self-evaluate for hypothermia.  It is also important to know how to recognize it in a companion.  In my WFR course, we learned to recognize the "umbles" ... grumbles, stumbles, mumbles, fumbles ... as signs of beginning mental impairment due to hypothermia (as well as dehydration).  Hypothermia triggers an anxiety response in most folks and an increasing inability to think clearly. I am a solo hiker by choice, but I recognize the value of hiking or camping with others in more challenging conditions because your buddy might notice you're heading downhill before you yourself do, and will prompt you to deal with the situation.

Happy Trails,

Two Legs