[pct-l] Unsafe trails and personal responsibility

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Sun Jun 7 16:54:16 CDT 2009

All right!  It's "pick on" time!  :-D

I agree with AsABat!  But I've still been driving hikers all over
northern LA county this past month.

The important thing is that people be ABLE to survive without MY
driving, HIS "water obsessions" and YOUR communication facilities.

It's nice to be able to meet and help hikers, but they SHOULD be able
to live without it.  As long as everyone does their part to properly
prepare for the trail and approaches it with the attitude that any
portion of support may fall apart at the most inopportune moment,
everything will be OK.

THEN, when it doesn't, and the water report is complete and the caches
are full and everyone checks in online when they said they would and
posts pretty pictures and we drive them for better groceries and
replacement gear - it's a holiday, and a party and a chance to make
even better memories and friendships.

BillB
The Transporter
(not a trail name, I haven't hiked YET, more a job description)
NYETI
(a play on Russian for NO and Yeti, as well as "No" and "yet" since I
haven't hiked YET, it's my acronym for "Not Yet Entitled to a Trail
Identity")
YouAgain
(my REI name, 'cause that what they say when I show up with another
load of hikers! ;-)