[pct-l] The SPOT Beacon..........

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Sat Jun 6 20:35:51 CDT 2009

I definitely agree with you in spirit.

But there are three buttons at a user's disposal:

911:  send a message that goes to the SPoT facility and is forwarded
to the authorities (now that I think of it this does not go to any
other mailing list, I don't recall having any way to say who else
should get it)

OK:  send a message that goes to a list of people you choose and sends
a predetermined message setup by the user, usually something like
"We're here at this location (gps point) having a great time"

Help:  send a message that goes to a list of people you choose and
sends a predetermined message setup by the user, I usually use
something like "We're here and need some help.  Because you are
getting this means that our lives are not currently in danger, or we'd
hit the 911 button"

In this case, posting the location of Help message might be a useful
thing but...

(As AsABat pointed out and I hadn't thought of) Someone might just
leave the canned message at the default, but have arranged with that
one person they send it to have it mean "Dude, pick me up here - I'm
tired of the trail..."; then publish all their SPoT messages to
Postholer, etc.

In this case, a bunch of good intended people might start driving for
there, intending to help, but ending up just being one of many people
there when the guy gets there for his ride home.  DOH!  ;-)

Even if the Help message is valid and someone truly needs Help, they
should hit the 911 button if it is truly an emergency and then we
should stay out of the way of the professionals.  After the 911 and/or
the Help button is pushed, then the people who receive the message
(you, or my mom since I carry a SPoT) can ask for any help they want
of whoever they want.

For Censored, whom I met at Hiker Heaven, I saw the messages and
looked up the SPoT locations.  I read her journal to see if there was
info there that might help.  I read other journals of that period
looking for reports from people who were close to her in timeframe and
maybe location to get any idea of what was going in the Sierras.  I
Google map'ed and checked my topos for roads in the area.  Then I
Googled for any mention of logging roads, jeep trails, etc in the area
to see if there was any way to get my Jeep in there (couldn't find
anything that looked to get someone closer than a solid half day hike
to her SPoT location).  I live 3.5 hours away from Lone Pine.  Since I
couldn't find a good way in and the pro's were already there, I never
hit "Send" on the offer message.

If I can help, I will.  I know you will too.  It's wonderful...

BillB