[pct-l] driving to indian springs cg in near cascade locks?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sat Jun 6 17:50:04 CDT 2009

Yes, you can drive right to it (once our snow leaves). Depending on how anal you are about covering every mile of the PCT, it's more convenient to start from the parking lot at Wahtum Lake. From Indian Springs CG to Wahtum Lake is 2.6 miles and 550 feet of elevation loss.

>From the Eagle Creek trailhead [elev 150'], it is 13 miles and 3600 feet of elevation gain to Wahtum Lake [elev 3750'] via the Eagle Creek Trail, and another 15.6 miles from there back down to the Bridge of the Gods trailhead [elev 150'] on the PCT. If you're in good shape, it's a doable overnight loop, but the days will be long.

The first 7.5 miles of the Eagle Creek Trail are gently graded and have many campsites and easy water. However, once you reach the Eagle-Tanner Trail junction and make that 120° back angle left turn towards Inspiration Point, the climb to Wahtum gets much steeper with no water and no campsites. You're committed at that point.

Be sure to allow another 2 miles from Cascade Locks back to the Eagle Creek parking lot; use the Gorge Trail #400.