[pct-l] who pays? - was:Search for Censored

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Thu Jun 4 18:53:41 CDT 2009

I remember the fall out from a Oct 14, 2004 snow storm. Fourteen hikers were
stranded throughout the Sierra. I remember a comment that the fiscal year
had just begun, the snow season really hadn't started, and  California spent
80% of their annual "rescue" budget that weekend. Given the state of CA
budget now I don't think you should count on Arnold footing the bill.

The October 15th date became a huge factor in our hike planning for 2005. We
felt we needed to be out of the Sierra before  Oct 15th. We made too.

Ken