[pct-l] Search for Censored

Kim Hastings kim at stikine.org
Thu Jun 4 12:19:20 CDT 2009

I'm finding this story a bit baffling.

I camped in that very spot just a week ago (section hiking).  I realize that there's been some new snow and all, but I would think a searcher in fit condition could get to that location via Trail Pass and the PCT on foot in about 4 hours from the Horseshoe Meadows trailhead.

Also, that section of the PCT should be fairly littered with thru hikers at the moment, as the herd should be just starting to push north from Kennedy Meadows - Censored's last journal update suggests as much.  Even just standing at Trail Pass (< 1 hour from the trailhead) and asking thrus as they came through whether they knew anything seems like a more useful plan than "flashing lights" and then going home for the night.

I'm not second guessing the sheriffs dept.  Just confused about why someone hasn't already been dispatched to the easily accessible spot from where NINE consecutive 911 calls have been sent in the last 24 hours.

Hopefully a search is already underway as I write.  I'm sure we'll all know more soon.

- Twodog

Sent via the WebMail system at stikine.org