[pct-l] Backups

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Wed Jun 3 13:55:33 CDT 2009

Stove back-up: I use Esbit solid fuel tablets so need no backup. They can't spill or evaporate and I can only run out if I totally ignore inventory control. They come in strips of three individually packaged tablets of 0.5 ounces each; just tear one off and open it when you need it. One tablet will burn ~ 13 minutes and boil 16 oz of water if your stove craps out on you. Great back-up for liquid and cannister stove users. They also double as emergency fire starters.

Firestarting: I carry a waterproof match case filled with REI storm-proof matches to back-up my mini-Bic lighter. Don't forget to include the striker that comes with them as it's the only thing (besides a flame) that will start them.

Light: I carry a white Photon light as my primary light source. Rarely do I bother with a headlamp unless I'm anticipating night hiking. I have a 2nd red Photon light on my neck cord along with my knife and whistle. The red doesn't destroy my night vision when I'm searching for something in the tent at night, but I can't really read by it with my 66 year old eyes. You young types would not have this problem.

Water treatment: I use AquaMira liquid almost exclusively; it's impossible to spill, although you can run out if you ignore inventory control. I keep 3 AM tablets in my first aid kit as a backup. If I must take a filter due to really bad water sources (southern CA), the AM liquid will go along as a backup.

Wandering Bob